ASSOCIATION OF SIBIU SALAMI PRODUCERS
Skilled craftsmen who preserved and transmitted the authentic Sibiu Salami recipe from one generation to the next, respect for tradition and craftsmanship to obtain a product with a history of over 100 years are an inspiration to all of today's top producers.
Established on May 7, 2014, the Association of PGI Sibiu Salami Producers brings together the only ones accredited to produce the real Sibiu Salami: founding members Agricola Bacau, Aldis Calaraşi, H & E Reinert Brasov, Salsi Sinaia, Scandia Romania and adherent member Recunoștința Prod Com -Filipeștii de Pădure.
The Mission of the Association is to defend the Protected Geographical Indication and support the sustainable development of production, as well as to support producers both nationally and internationally.
- Agricola Bacău – Established more than 57 years ago, Agricola Bacău represents a group of close-knit businesses who work together to give Romanians the freshness of homemade products as they have known it since time immemorial.
- Aldis Călărași – A constant presence on the Romanian market for 26 years, Aldis sells highest-quality products, always perfecting the taste of Romanian sausages and cured meat.
- Reinert Feldioara – Just as it did in 1931, H&E Reinert, a family business, joins today traditional values and modern technology.
- Salsi Sinaia – Dating back to 1920, the Salsi Sinaia factory is Romania’s first dry sausage factory, whose products are famous throughout the region. Today’s sausage makers faithfully follow the original craft and recipes.
- Scandia Română – The specialist team of Scandia Foods Romania keep alive a tradition more than 90-years old, offering tasteful, nourishing food through innovative products that provide the balance needed in a dynamic lifestyle.
- Recunoștință Filipeștii de Pădure It is one of the best-known companies operating on the Romanian sausage and cured meat market. Its business philosophy is built around family, quality, earnestness, and creativity, and its every business decision reflects the passion and enthusiasm of its people.
WHAT IS PGI?
PROTECTED GEOGRAPHICAL INDICATION
What means PGI? An European system for the quality of food products. Quality guarantee for consumers and a fair price for farmers are the double objective of “the quality package” adopted by the European Commission.
This package on quality sets for the first time a comprehensive policy on the system of certification, on mentions with added value for the qualities of food products and on standards of the products.
The Sibiu Salami obtained the denomination of Protected Geographical Indication on 19th of February 2016.
The request for obtaining the PGI based on the reputation of the product and the geographic area of production. The Sibiu Salami is produced on the following regions Bacău, Brașov, Covasna, Călărași, Ilfov, Prahova and Sibiu.
Why is the PGI important?
For consumers, the geographical indications are useful to identify the origins and the quality of the products. Many of these products acquired a genuine awareness which, without an adequate protection, could induce false declarations from dishonest commercial operators.
The legit producers are also harmed because they lose the benefit of commercial operations and the reputation of the product is affected.
Carmen Gavrilescu, president of the APSS, highlighted the importance of PGI certification, obtained in 2016, the Sibiu Salami becoming indispensable from any international mass of Romania. In this context, the latest product promotion project at European level is building on this reputation. Between 2018 and 2020, the PGI Sibiu salami will be promoted in Romania, Spain and Italy, as part of a project funded with a European grant of 1.5 million euros. Moreover, this year, in Romania, November 1 becomes the National Day of the Sibiu Salami.